And so began our struggle for good results at the temple study camp. Everyone is busy trying to get whatever they can into their heads. My brother, Inochi is helping out. I am currently taking a breather sitting at the open porch with Akira and Suzu. Inochi is scolding Ryu again for his silly mistakes. Poor Ryu.
Akira: Your brother is too strict. I’m getting a headache after all that studying.
Mikomi: You’re not the only one. However there is one thing that will cheer me up, Akano-nii’s presence. Ah. I can’t wait till lunch time.
Suzu: Me too. Akano-nii is so kind to deliver us lunch.
Mikomi: He said that it’s because he can’t help out with our studies so it’s the least that he can do to support us.
Akira: We are all glad about it.
Suzu: Ah but we still need to prepare our own dinner.
Akira: That’s not a problem seeing we have our kitchen experts with us.
Mikomi: That’s right. Suteki and Mahou are the best cooks.
Akira: I prefer yours though.
Mikomi: (smiles shyly) Thanks.
During that grueling two weeks of studying we didn’t even think about Satsuki. Even Suzu is concentrating on her studies. She didn’t even message Satsuki, or at least I didn’t see her touch her phone for it. Inochi-nii makes sure Akira and I are not too close. He really wants me to get good results. He even said that if I don’t get into the top 50 positions in school, then I am done for. I really wonder what he will do to me. Well I guess I rather not find out. My last position was the 45th position out of the 150 students in the standard. I don’t hope to go up but I hope I don’t go down either.
~~~
Suzu: I really hope that whatever we went through the past two weeks is going to help me out with the exams this week. I really do not want to retake any subject.
Mahou: You are not the only one.
Suteki: I hope this charm works.
Suzu: Believe in its power and it will do wonders to you.
Mikomi: I will believe in anything to escape my brother’s wrath.
Mahou: Good luck then.
The exams started and we drilled our heads for it. Everything that we have learnt throughout the year is being tested. Some questions are challenging while others are easy.
With a blink of an eye and a grueling headache the exams are soon over. Now we are all trying our best not to die at our results. We sat praying at our seats as the teacher hands out our results.
Mikomi stood up and went up to her teacher. The teacher gave Mikomi her result booklet with a straight face scaring her. No one is to open up their booklet until the teacher says so and thus everyone held onto their booklet like their lives depends on it. Some said silent prayers. Once the booklets were all handed out, the teacher gave the instruction. The students slowly open their booklets. Smiles are seen all over the class. The teacher too smiles. Everyone cheered loudly and some even jumped in joy. Mikomi, Suteki, Suzu and Mahou hugged each other in happiness.
Teacher: Congratulations to all for passing. It’s really nice to see that no one has to come back for a retest. Enjoy the long weekend and see you on Monday.
Mikomi: I can’t believe it. We all have excellent scores.
Mahou: It was the most useful two weeks ever. I’m glad for it.
Suzu: Yeah me too.
Suteki: Let’s all go see the rankings.
Mikomi: Ah another scary thing.
Suzu: Might as well get it over with right? Come on let’s go.
The rankings are posted on the main student notice board. There’s a huge crowd around the area. The four girls pushed their way through. Once they are in front of the notice, they began searching for their names. They start from the bottom and work their way up. Suzu saw hers first in the 100s, Mahou is next in the 80s, Suteki’s in the 50s and so Mikomi is in the safe zone. Even before she saw her own name, she is already jumping up for joy. The other girls saw her name in the 30s.
Suzu: Your brother can’t touch you now.
Mikomi: Yeah. (made the peace sign)
Ryu: So now we can go back to our previous problem.
Mahou: (jumped a little) When did you arrive?
Ryu: A long time ago, when you are all busy looking for your names.
Mikomi: Why didn’t you say anything?
Ryu: It’s because you are making such a serious face that I couldn’t bring myself to say anything.
Mahou: Where are the others?
Ryu: Beats me. Other than Tsumetashi, the other two are not in my class.
Suteki: So where’s Tsumetashi?
Ryu: I thought he would be here. He went out of the classroom much earlier than me. I had to talk to my homeroom teacher since I failed my English. I will have to retake it next week.
Mahou: Go for it. I will give you my support.
Mikomi, Suzu & Suteki: Go for it.
Mahou: When is it exactly?
Ryu: Friday.
Mikomi: That gives you more than a week to study. Mahou can tutor you on it since my brother can’t make you pass it considering even after all that scolding and you still fail.
Suzu: It seems that way. (laughs)
Ryu: Please don’t laugh. I need to pass my English exam.
Suteki: Ok. We all know that. That’s why Mahou will help you out this time.
Ryu: Thanks Mahou.
Mahou: No problem but you must promise to study and pass the exam.
Ryu: Hmmph.