This is a story inspired by the song 'Spirit' by V6.
Disclaimer: I do not own the song, just the story and the characters.
kimi no tame ni kimi no subete ga kono sekai wo hashitteku
wasurenai de donna toki demo taisetsu na no wa SPIRIT
For your sake everything about you will make the world run
Don't ever forget that what is important is your spirit
Standing here in front of you is a blessing. We had just exchanged our wedding vows moments ago. Though I am blessed with happiness at the moment, I still couldn't believe that you were so unsure of yourself the first time we met. Do you remember the words that I told you back then?
"It's the spirit that counts."
I remember the time we first met...
You were standing on the bridge alone staring down at the deep waters. You were about to jump when I step up to you and stopped you. You were shocked to see me holding your hand tightly.
At that time I shouted to you, "Don't do it!" You looked at me shocked and asked me, "Who are you?" before turning to look at my hand on your arm. Realising that I am still holding your hand I instantly let go and apologize.
You then sat on the ground and sigh before you spill out your worries.
dare ni demo kitto aru mae ni fumidasenai koto
akirame ya iiwake ga warui kuse ni natteru
I'm sure everyone has a time when they can't step forward
Giving up or making excuses is becoming a bad habit
You told me you keep failing tests in high school. No matter how hard you study, you can never pass the tests. And because of that you can't seem to see the future. You think that you are not moving forward at all.
You kept at it for a year and barely made it to the second year. You wanted to give up and quit school but no one will hear of it. Your parents told you that if you ever quit school, they will disown you. Your teachers told you that they will help you but they gave up when you didn't improve. You lost your friends due to the amount of time you spend studying instead of being with them.
You lost faith in your parents, your teachers and your friends. You didn't know what else to do so you decide to end your life.
But after hearing all your worries, I remember screaming at you. And you listened without any complaints.
I was having troubles at school too. In fact I was near the bottom of the level's grades list. However I look at the world differently, it's all thanks to my late father's words.
"No matter what happens don't find excuse or give up. If you go at it with your spirit, nothing is impossible."
And those were the words that I repeated to you that day before leaving you alone on the bridge.
hirakikaketa tobira no nobu ni te wo kaketa no nara
osoreru koto wa nai hora hikari ga sasu yo
If you put your hand on the knob of the door that was shut
There's nothing to fear, see! The light will shine
kokoro no mama kanjinagara shinjinagara
moyashiteku jounetsu na shin no tsuyosa machigai na hazu ga nai
Passion is burning in your heart as you feel it and believe it
There is no way that the strength of truth can be wrong
I was suprised to see you at school a few days later. However you couldn't even recognise me. I got angry and shouted at you. At my shouting you remembered and bow in gratitude. I was shocked at your reaction that I stopped shouting.
You told me that you reflected on things and realised what I told you is right. You talked to your parents and told them about your problem and they hired a private tutor. Things with your friends are still the same but you plan on making up with them.
Weeks passed and on your next test you did well. Not only was it a pass but it was the best score in your class.
Hearing the news I couldn't let myself lose to you. Seeing that you are starting to pick up, I got to be true to my words. We both believed in our own strenghts and move on. We both found something we are passionate about and work towards it.
For you it was setting up your own business and for me it was being a teacher at a child care center.
kimi no tame ni kimi no subete ga kono sekai wo hashiru kara
ikusen no yoru ni matagatte kyou to ashita ga umareru
kanau yume mo kanawanu yume mo kakegaenonai mono da yo
wasurenai de donna toki demo taisetsu na no wa SPIRIT
Because for your sake everything about you will make the world run
Spanning over thousands of nights, today and tomorrow are born
Dreams that will come true and those that won't are all irreplaceable
Don't ever forget that what is important is your spirit
itsuka todoku sorezore no mirai de kitto waraou
Someday this will reach you, each of us surely will be smiling in our future
Years passed and we are still friends. We made a lot of other friends along the way and throughout those years many things took place. Some are happy, some are sad. Dreams and wishes that came true and others that didn't.
You own your own shop selling gifts, cards and flowers throughout the year. I will always stop by after my work. Being at the child care center, I am always happy. However whenever I am at your shop I tend to feel a little sad.
I wish that you would have noticed how I feel about you. But I know if I just give my best and love you with all my spirit, you will be able to feel it.
kuzurekaketa kokoro ga kimi wo okubyou ni shite mo
tomadou koto wa nai tada mae ni susumou
Even if my crumbling heart is shy of you
I won't feel confused, I'll just progress onwards
nagareru mama nejire mo sezu magari mo sezu
massugu na ikikata wo tsuranuku no wa muzukashii koto dakedo
Flowing along without twisting or turning
Living life head on is not such a hard thing
No matter if you flirt with others. No matter if you hurt me. No matter if you don't realise my feelings. I will still stay strong and feel the same. I will still continue to love you.
Knowing that one day my feelings will be returned, I live on. Living positively is not a hard thing to do.
kimi no tame ni kimi no omoi ga zenryoku wo tsukusu no nara
hitotsubu no namida no kakera wa mugendai no tane ni naru
matohazure na esora koto demo mune wo hari egakeba ii
nakusa nai de nani ga okitemo taisetsu na no wa SPIRIT
taisetsu na no wa SPIRIT
If you put your full power into your feelings for your own sake
The fragments of one teardrop will become infinite seeds
Even if the images are out of focus, puff out your chest and draw it
Don't lose it, no matter what happens, what is important is your spirit
What is important is your spirit
I remember you telling me about this girl that you like. She seems like the nicest person on earth. I remember supporting you and telling you to go on and confess to her. Even though I was hurting, I send smiles to you to support you on.
But I remember the day you cried. Your every teardrop was a pain to me. But I remember telling you that it's ok to cry. It's ok to shed tears since those tears will be the clearing of the past and be a new seed of the future. I told you that if you were starting to lose what you were supposed to aim for, think and draw it out again.
You look at me and wipe your tears and confessed that the girl you like is me and that you know that I do not feel the same.
I hugged you and told you that you are the biggest idiot in the world. I told you how I have been in love with you for the longest time.
That night we share our very first kiss. It was the most happiest moment in my life.
kimi no tame ni kimi no subete ga kono sekai wo hashiru kara
ikusen no yoru ni matagatte kyou to ashita ga umareru
kimi ga erabi kimi ga ayunda sono michi wo koukaisuruna
donna tadashi kotae yori mo taisetsu na no wa SPIRIT
Because for your sake everything about you will make the world run
Spanning over thousands of nights, today and tomorrow are born
The path you chose, the path you walked upon, don't regret it
Rather than any correct answer, what is important is your spirit
itsuka todoku sorezore no mirai de kitto waraou
Someday this will reach you, each of us surely will be smiling in our future
And so true to our words, we live life without regrets. We did things to our best effort and put in our spirits in everything that we do.
We chose to be together, we chose our paths in life and we chose the way we live. And we will not regret any of it. It doesn't matter if this isn't the right path or we aren't the right couple. What matters is the spirit that we hold.
As long as we believe in this feeling and in ourselves, our feelings will reach others and it will surely make us and the people around us happy.