Friday, January 30, 2009

Story One Part Five

Scene: Orphanage office


Smith: It’s been two months now, hasn’t it?


Mikomi: Yes it has.


Mikomi took out a notebook and lays it on the table. Smith picks it up and looks through it. He doesn’t look too happy about the contents that he is seeing.


Smith: Do they have to spend this much these past two months? Don’t they know the situation?


Mikomi: I have not told them the finance situation. I do not want them to worry about it.


Smith: But Mikomi, the situation is serious. If this goes on, the money from the house will not last any longer. You have to talk to them about this. Don’t let it drag. The three of you have no stable income. You have got to remember that.


Mikomi: I’m working.


Smith: Honestly do you think it’s enough? You are only working part time and I do not want you to sacrifice your university studies. Do you know…


Mikomi: I know how important it is to have a degree but the family…


Smith: I am here, remember that. Right now other than your university fees and Ashita’s and Yuto’s school fees, the others are for you to take care on your own. I know Yuki-san gives you a lot of free groceries whenever you go there to get your groceries but how much can you take? You will be in debt to them after that. I do not want that to happen. Think about it and talk to those two. Life is not as it used to be when your parents were around. I am sure you should know that best.


Mikomi: I do.


Smith: Then have a talk with them. I hope to see improvements in the finance the next few months.


Mikomi just nods and took the notebook back. She was about to leave when a lady enters. The lady saw Mikomi and hugs her tight.


Smith: Saori. You are giving the poor dear a shock.


Saori: Ah. I’m so sorry, Mikomi-chan. (breaking the hug) Do you still remember me?


Mikomi: I think so. The perfume you are wearing seems so familiar. (thinking back) Ah. If I am not wrong you are the Sweets のおばちゃん。(sweets auntie)


Saori: Can’t say I like that name but at least you remembered. (smiles)


Mikomi: It’s nice to see you again but I have to go now.


Saori: Can’t be helped then. I wish I could talk to you.


Mikomi: I will come by again.


Saori: In that case why don’t you come by my shop? (takes out a name card and passes it to Mikomi) You can come in at any time. I’m always there.


Mikomi: Sure. Thank you.


Mikomi left. Saori sighs. Smith asks Saori to take a seat and she did.


Smith: Are you sure it’s okay this way?


Saori: Now is not the time. She has to pass this phase first. I hope the money is enough.


Smith: Considering how much you have been contributing since the first day she came, it’s enough.


Saori: The apartment and the school fees are only my way of saying sorry. Whenever she needs the extra money do give it to her. It’s hers anyway.


Smith: Leave it to me.